Wired security camera systems offer a number of benefits that wireless and wire fee systems can’t. These benefits include continuous recording, better night viewing distance, and they are more secure than wireless security cameras.
In this post, I’ve compiled a list of 27 wired security camera systems you should consider if you plan on installing a wired system. Included in this list is a brief overview of the system, why I think it is one of the best, and reasons to consider other systems.
At the end of this post is a reference to each one of the systems. To learn more about the system, simply copy the reference and paste it into your favorite web search engine.
Click here to see my recommended wired security camera system. Included with my recommendation is why I like the system and a direct link to the product page.
Wired systems overview
Wired security systems are composed of two basic parts: cameras and video recorder. The camera records audio and video and sends it to the recorder to be saved and/ or viewed locally. In many cases, the camera is a bullet, dome, or pan/ tilt/ zoom camera. Click here to learn more about the different camera types.
The second and equally important part of wired security cameras is the video recorded. There are two types of video recorders: digital video recorder (DVR) and network video recorder (NVR).
There are two primary differences between and NVRs and DVRs: input type and the type of cameras that work with the system. The NVR connects with to cameras using a networking cable called an ethernet cable. This cable, which looks like an oversized telephone cable, sends digital audio and video bi-directional.
There are a number of benefits of using ethernet cables to transmit data, and while most of those benefits are outside the scope of this post, I will discuss a few here. The first benefit is the speed at which data is sent. A faster speed usually means better performance.
The second benefit is a better transmission. This may be a little too technical but ethernet connections usually suffer less packet loss, and noise included in the transmission. This will result in a consistently better audio and video feed.
Another benefit of ethernet cables is that you can use the cable to also power your devices. For example, most of the ethernet connected cameras on this list only use one cable, whereas the coax connected cameras will need a cable for power and a different cable for video transmission.
DVRs use coaxial or coax cables, to connect cameras to DVR systems. coax cables is an old technology that is commonly associated with cable TV many years ago. One of the many downsides of coax cable is that is his difficulty sends data (audio and video) at the same time.
Also, older generations of coaxial only transmitted standard definition resolution. That has since changed and now have a similar resolution as ethernet cables.
The second difference between DVRs and NVRs is the type of camera that can be connected to the recorder. DVRs connect to analog or coax cameras, while NVRs connect to internet protocol (IP) cameras.
There are a number of differences between coax and Ip cameras. Some of those differences include:
- IP cameras have a greater range
- Coax cameras are less expensive (but this is changing)
- IP cameras have more features
- Coax cameras more prone to interference.
And many more…
In addition to wired inputs, DVRs also include the following inputs and outputs:
- USB inputs for a mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, etc
- Local Area Network (LAN) to connect to a hub, router, or switch
- HDMI/ VGA output to display on a monitor or TV screen for local viewing
- Audio output (usually white)
- Audio input (usually red)
Also included inside of the DVR/ NVR is a internal hard drive. This hard drive is where video recordings are saved until they are deleted. The standard size for a hard drive is 1 Terabyte. Usually, you can upgrade the hard drive, but it depends on the system manufacturer.
Also, be aware that some of the newer systems do not include an internal hard drive. This is done for a few reasons including offering the ability to offer a security cameras system at a lower price.
Here is a short list of things to consider before buying a wired security camera system:
- Number of channels
- Hard drive size
- Video resolution
- Continuous recording time
- Night vision range
- Motion detection
- Analog vs network
- Local recording only, or remote viewing
A word about Channels
Before we look at the 27 best wired security cameras I wanted to take a quick detour and talk about channels. Channels are simply the maximum number of cameras you can connect to your system. Most camera systems have channels ranging from 4 to 32.
Most often camera systems will bundle a number of cameras that do not equal the number of channels on the system. You do not have to have all of the channels filled. Nothing will happen if you have empty channels. Most systems will auto-detect if there is a connection at each channel.
For reference, look at the above picture of a Zosi NVR system. As you can see, I only have one channel filled. The filled channel is connected because the green and yellow lights are lit. The other channel lights are not lit, which means there is no power or data begin set to or from the system.
Also, consider buying a system that has more channels than you currently need. For example, if you only need for cameras, don’t buy a do channel system. Buying a system that is not upgradable can paint you into a corner resulting in buying a number system and having to do another setup.
Instead, if you currently need 4 cameras, buy an 8 channel system as you may want to add more cameras in the future.
SANSCO Pro CCTV Security System
The SANSCO Pro CCTV Security System is a BNC connected system that records in 1080P resolution, supports up to a 6 Terabyte hard drive and is IP66 all weather rated. In addition, you can watch live events as they happen, or receive email alerts when motion is detected.
Finally, this system uses “loop recording.” Loop recording is when old recordings are automatically replaced by new events. The benefit of this that you do not need to manually delete events, and you don’t have to worry about hard drive management.
Before purchasing this system, consider the limited number of channels, the somewhat limited night viewing distance (around 65 feet), and the viewing angle.
Zmodo PoE Security System
The Zmodo PoE Security System is a system that records in 1080P resolution, has a night viewing distance of up to 65 feet, and is IP65 weatherproof rated.
In addition, this camera comes with a repeater. The repeater is used to connect the security cameras to the NVR. Simply connect the cameras to the repeater, then connect the repeater to the router. Finally, connect the router to the NVR. The benefit on this setup is that the NVR can be placed in a better location, like an office.
Before purchasing this camera consider the viewing angle, the network connectivity used (2.4 GHz), and the strength of your home internet connection
ANNKE Security System
The ANNKE DVR Security System records in resolutions up to 960P, can record continuously for up to 1200 hours with H.264+ compression, and receive snapshots via email alerts.
In addition, this camera features smart motion, remote access,
Before purchasing this system consider the viewing angle, video resolution, and the night vision distance.
ZOSI Security Camera System
The Zosi CCTV Security Camera System features an IP67 waterproof rating, 65 feet of night viewing distance, and allows you to view live and recorded events via the Zosi app.
This system is rated for both indoor and outdoor use, includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive, and features a 3.6-millimeter lens.
Before purchasing this camera, consider the viewing angle, the night vision distance, and the video resolution.
EZVIZ Outdoor Surveillance System
The EZVIZ Outdoor Surveillance System is a BNC connected system with up to 100 feet of night viewing distance, remote viewing with the EZVIZ app, and customizable motion detection.
In addition, the included cameras are rated to work in temperatures as cold as -40 degrees and as hot as 140-degree Fahrenheit. Also, this camera system works with Amazon Alexa and can send out instant alerts.
Before buying this camera consider the viewing angle, the lighting around the cameras, motion zones.
A-Zone Security Camera System
The A-Zone CCTV Security Camera System provides users with 30 days of continuous recording, remote access via a smartphone app, and records in resolutions up to 1080P.
In addition, this system includes a 2 Terabyte hard drive, customizable motion detection, and up to 100 feet night viewing distance. Finally, this system includes H.264+ video compression and email notifications based on motion alerts.
Before buying this product consider the night viewing distance, the app required and the field of view.
Reolink PoE Security Camera System
In addition, this system uses H.264 video compression, and can send motion alerts via email and push notifications, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), and buzzer notifications on the NVR.
Before buying this system consider the viewing angle.
Night Owl Security Camera System
This Night Owl Security Camera System is a BNC connected system that records in 1080P, has a 100-degree field of view, and has a night viewing distance on 100 feet.
In addition, this system includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive, dual sensor technology, and transmits live and recorded events via the Night Owl app. The dual sensor technology aims to reduce false alerts by confirming heat signatures in addition to motion detection.
Before buying this camera consider the extreme weather situations that occur in your region.
SMONET Home Security Camera System
Also, this camera should work in temperatures as cold as -50-degrees and a shot as 122-degrees, email alerts, and live viewing with a mobile app.
Before buying this system consider the night viewing distance, the associated mobile app, and the number of channels you need.
Tonton Security Camera System
The Tonton CCTV Security Camera System records in 1080P
This system also includes customizable motion detection and smart motion alerts. Customizable motion detection lets you set the area and schedule when alerts should fire. Smart notifications send images to your smartphone via the associated app.
Before buying this camera consider the night vision distance, the camera viewing angle, and the app required for this system.
Amcrest Video Security System
The Amcrest Video Security System is a CCTV system that includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive, night vision up to 98 feet, and IP67 waterproof rating. Also, this is one of few cameras that features two-way audio.
Two-way audio allows you to communicate directly with the person on the other side of the camera. In addition, this camera has a viewing angle of 100-degrees and can work in temperatures as clod as -40-degree.
Before buying this camera consider the limited number of channels.
SANNCE Security Camera System
The SANNCE CCTV Security Camera System records in 720P, IP66 weatherproof rated and supports a number of camera types. Also, this camera uses H.264 video compression, motion triggered motion alerts and IR-Cut filters.
In addition, this includes night vision up to 66 feet, has a viewing angle of 70-degrees.
Before buying this system be aware that you will need to purchase an additional hard drive. In addition, this system records in 720P.
Best Vision DVR Security Camera System
The Best Vision CCTV Security System includes 16 channels, records in 1080P resolution, and has a night vision distance up to 85 feet. In addition, this camera is weatherproof rated and sends email notifications when motion is detected.
Also, this system includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive, motion detection, and remote viewing on your smartphone.
Before buying this system consider the viewing angle and the terms waterproof vs weatherproof.
Rraycom Security Camera System
The Rraycom Security Camera System records in 1080P resolution, has a night vision distance up to 155 feet, and includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive. In addition, this system uses H.264+ video compression and email alerts.
Also, this system includes frame-by-frame video playback and face recognition.
Before buying this camera consider the viewing angle and the app required for remote viewing.
JOOAN Security Camera System
In addition, this system supports cloud storage, email alerts, and real-time motion detection.
Before buying this system beware that this system does not include a hard drive. You must purchase a hard drive for this system. Also, the cloud service is not free. Check with the cloud storage company to verify the cost.
FREDI Security Camera System
The FREDI Security Camera System is a CCTV system that records in 720P, includes night vision up to 98 feet, and IP66 weatherproof rated. In addition, this system uses h.264 video compression and remote smartphone viewing.
In addition, this system includes smart playback, which allows you jump to motion events.
Before buying this system beware that there is no hard drive in this system. You will need to purchase an additional hard drive to take advantage of some of the features.
DEFEWAY Security Camera System
The DEFEWAY Security Camera System includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive, records videos in 1080P resolution, and is waterproof rated. In addition, this camera has a night vision distance up to 65 feet.
This camera sends both email and push notifications based on detection motion. The system uses h.264 video compression to record 20 days of continuous recording.
Also, this system will work in temperatures as cold as -22-degrees or as work as 140-degrees Fahrenheit.
Before buying this system consider that 720P is the video resolution.
OOSSXX Security Camera System
This OOSSXX NVR system records in 1080P resolution, IP66 waterproof rated, sends snapshots via email based on motion alerts and provides remote viewing via a smartphone app. Also, this system includes a 2 Terabyte hard drive.
This camera is actually a wireless camera that saves data to an NVR. In addition, each camera acts as a repeater, which extends the distance you can place the
GW PoE Security Camera
This GW PoE Security Camera System records in 1920P, includes varifocal zoom, and uses h.264 video compression. Also, this system includes a 2 Terabyte hard drive, viewing angle of up to 155-degrees, and night vision up to 110 feet.
Finally, this camera is IP66 waterproof rated and includes a free smartphone app.
Before buying this system consider all of the new technology included and if the associated price is worth dealing with it.
Safevant Home Security Camera System
The Safevant Home Security Camera System is IP66 weatherproof rated, records in 720P resolution, and has a night vision distance up to 65 feet. In addition, this system allows you to access live and recorded events with the associated smartphone app.
In addition, this camera uses h.264+ video compression, email alerts and push notifications.
Before buying this system confirm the video resolution and the viewing angle.
Lorex Wired Network Security System
The Lorex 4K Wired Network Security Camera records in 4K, has color night vision, and uses h.265 video resolution. In addition, this system can be viewed remotely with a smartphone or tablet app.
Before buying this camera consider if 4K is really something that you need.
FLOUREON House Security Camera System
The FLOUREON House Security Camera System features IP66 weatherproof cameras, up to 60 feet of night vision distance, and records in 720P. In addition, this system uses h.264 video compression, 75-degree viewing angle and motion triggered email alerts.
Before buying the camera consider the limited viewing angle, the limited night vision distance, and the recording resolution.
Samsung Wisenet Security System
The Samsung Wisenet Security System includes a 1 Terabyte hard drive, records in 1080P resolution, and has a live viewing frame rate of 120 frames per second. In addition, you can view live and recorded events via a smartphone app or web client.
Before buying this camera consider the field of view and the night vision distance.
Canavis Security Camera System
The CANAVIS Security Camera System records in 960P resolution, automatic connection between the cameras and NVR, and a built in Wi-Fi module. Also, the cameras in this system include night vision up to 100 feet, IP67 waterproof rated, and smartphone remote viewing.
This is the second wireless NVR system in this list. This system is included because of of its available features. Note: this system does not include a hard drive. An internal hard drive will need to purchased for some of the features to work.
NexTend Security Camera System
Before buying this camera consider the viewing angle, video resolution, and nigh vision distance.
ELECCTV Home Security Camera System
The ELECCTV Home Security Camera System records videos up to 1080P
Before buying this camera consider the limited video resolution, and the cameras field of view.
Laview Security Camera System
The final camera on this list is the
Before purchasing this system consider the limited night vision distance, and limited field of view.
As you can see in this list, CCTV/ BNC systems are still major players in the home security camera market. One of the reasons they are still major players is the price. CCTV systems are around 15% cheaper than IP/ NVR systems.
That is my list for best wired security camera systems, what do you think? Did I miss any? Do you think any of them are a stretch? Do you own a wired security system?
Comment below and tell me what you think.
Which is better NVR or DVR?
The answer to this question comes down to features and your objective for the security system. Personally, I like the NVR because of the ethernet ports that are included in the system. In the past, DVRs were designed to be a closed system, meaning no internet connectivity. However, newer systems have an additional ethernet port or build-in
What is an NVR system?
NVR stands for network video recorder and it is a box that connects security cameras to hard hard drives, the internet, and local monitors. NVRs are like DVRs in that they save videos, configure video settings, and output audio and video.
NVRs are different than DVRs in a few different ways. First, NVRs use ethernet ports to connect security cameras to hard drives. ethernet ports are most commonly associated with internet connectivity and look like over sized phone cords. NVRs are also different in that most have another ethernet port for a router/ switch. hub.
In the past, CCTVs did not have a way to connect to the internet. If you wanted to share a video recording you had to save the clip to a USB, remove the hard drive, or have the person sit and watch the video locally.
With the assistance of the additional ethernet port, NVRs allow you to view live and recorded events from anywhere in the world as long as you are connected to the internet.
Does NVR require internet?
No, an NVR system does not require the internet. While the NVR uses ethernet cords that are most associated with internet connectivity, an NVR still needs to connect to a router/ hub/ switch to access the internet.
Without the connection to a router/ switch/ hub an NVR system is basically a Closed Circuit Television System (CCTV) that uses one wire for both power and data transmission.
If you choose not to connect your NVR to the internet, you will need to connect audio and video to the NVR to view
Copy and paste the reference into google to find out more information about the product.
- SANSCO Pro CCTV Security Camera System 4-Channel 1080P DVR, 4 Bullet Cameras (All HD 1080p 2MP), 1TB Internal Hard Drive Disk 24/7 Motion Recording – All-in-One Wired Surveillance Cameras Kit
- Zmodo Full HD 1080p Simplified PoE Security Camera System w/Repeater, 8 x 2.0 Megapixel IP Outdoor Surveillance Camera, 8CH HDMI NVR and 1TB Hard Drive
- ANNKE 8 Channel Security Camera System 5-in-1 1080P lite H.264+ DVR with 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive and (4) 1280TVL 1.0MP Weatherproof HD-TVI Bullet Cameras with IR-cut Night Vision LEDs, Instant email alert with images
- ZOSI 8CH Security Camera System HD-TVI Full 1080P Video DVR Recorder with 4X HD 1920TVL 1080P Indoor Outdoor Weatherproof CCTV Cameras 1TB Hard Drive,Motion Alert, Smartphone, PC Easy Remote Access
- EZVIZ FULL HD 1080p Outdoor Surveillance System, 4 Weatherproof HD Security Cameras, 4 Channel 1TB DVR Storage, 100ft Night Vision, Customizable Motion Detection
- A-ZONE Security Camera System 4 Channel 1080P DVR 4 x 960P HD Waterproof Night Vision Indoor/Outdoor Home CCTV Video Wired Surveillance Kits, Customizable Motion Detection,Pre-installed 2TB HDD
- Reolink 4MP 8CH PoE Security Camera System 4 Outdoor 4MP Surveillance IP Cameras with 5MP NVR 2TB HDD Super HD 2560×1440 100ft Night Vision RLK8-410B4
- Night Owl Security 8 Channel 1080p HD Video Security DVR with 1 TB HDD and 4 x 1080p Wired Infrared Cameras
- [Full HD] Security Camera System 1080P,SMONET 4 Channel Home Security Camera System(1TB Hard Drive),4pcs 2MP Outdoor Cameras,Super Night Vision,P2P,Easy Remote View,Free APP,NO Monthly Fee
- Tonton 8CH Full HD 1080P Security Camera System, Surveillance DVR with 1TB Hard Drive and (4) 2.0MP 1920TVL Waterproof Outdoor Indoor CCTV Bullet Camera with Face Detection and Perimeter Protection
- Amcrest UltraHD 4-Megapixel 4CH Video Security System with Four 4.0MP Outdoor IP67 Plastic Bullet Cameras, 98ft Night Vision, Pre-Installed 1TB Hard Drive, (AMDV40M4-4B-B)
- SANNCE 8CH Full 1080N Security Camera System CCTV DVR and (8) 720P Night Vision Surveillance Cameras, IP66 Weatherproof, QR Code Scan and Remote Access (720P 8CH +8 + 1TB Hard Drive)
- Best Vision 16CH 4-in-1 HD DVR Security Camera System (1TB HDD), 8pcs 1080P High Definition Outdoor Cameras with Night Vision – DIY Kit, App for Smartphone Remote Monitoring
- Rraycom 8 Channel Security Camera System,1080P HD-TVI Video DVR Recorder with 4PC HD 2000TVL 2.0MP Indoor Outdoor Waterproof Cameras 1TB Hard Drive,Night Vision,Motion Alert, Smartphone Remote Access
- JOOAN HD1080N Security Camera System for Home Surveillance Bullet Camera (8CH DVR kit)-No HDD
- FREDI Security Camera System 8-Channel HD-TVI 1080P Lite Video Security System DVR and (4) 1.0MP Indoor/Outdoor Weatherproof Cameras with IR Night Vision LEDs- Without HDD
- DEFEWAY 8 Channel Security Cameras System with 1080N AHD Audio DVR,8pcs Wired Waterproof Outdoor/Indoor Bullet Surveillance Cameras,1TB Hard Drive Included
- 【2019 Update】 OOSSXX 8-Channel HD 1080P Wireless Security Camera System,8Pcs 960P 1.3 Megapixel Wireless Indoor/Outdoor IR Bullet IP Cameras,P2P,App, HDMI Cord & 2TB HDD Pre-Install
- 8 Channel H.265 4K NVR 5MP 1920p POE IP Camera System Wired, 8 x Varifocal Zoom 2.8-12mm Outdoor Indoor Security Camera – H.265 (Double Recording Data and Enhance Picture Quality Compared to H.264)
- Safevant 8CH 5-in-1 HD DVR Home Security Camera System (NO Hard Drive) 4pcs Dome+4pcs Bullet HD Indoor&Outdoor Security Cameras Night Vision – DIY Kit, App Smartphone Remote Monitoring
- Lorex 4K Ultra HD Wired Network Security System Color Night Vision
- FLOUREON House Security Camera System 1080N DVR + 4 Pack 1.0MP CMOS Lens CCTV Security Camera 1500TVL Night Vision Remote Access Motion Detection (8CH+ 4X 1500TVL Camera)
- SDH-B73043 – Samsung Wisenet 4 Channel Full HD Video All-In-One Security System with 4 Bullet Cameras.
- 8 Channel Wireless Security Camera System NVR Video Surveillance System 720p Bullet Camera Night Vision Motion Detection Backup 2TB Hard Drive Indoor Outdoor
- Newest] Security Camera System Wireless, NexTrend 8CH Video Security Camera System 8pcs 960P IP Security Camera, 65ft Night Vison Motion Detection, 1TB Hard Drive Pre-Installed, Plug & Play
- ELECCTV 4CH Home Security Camera System DVR Recorder with 4X HD 720P Indoor Outdoor Weatherproof CCTV Cameras, IR Night Vision with 1TB Hard Drive Motion Alert, Smartphone, PC Remote Access
- Laview 8 Channel 5MP HD-TVI Security Camera System Video DVR Recorder with 1TB Hard Drive, 4 5MP Waterproof IP66 CCTV Indoor/Outdoor Bullet Cameras Home Surveillance System with Night Vision